This website won't attempt to tell the history of schools in
Scioto Township; instead it will forego this endeavor and let
this story be told using two prior publications that tell the
story excellently. The Millcreek Garden Club's 1965
publication tells the story of the first lessons being taught
in a log cabin through the "one-room" school houses;
touching lightly on the Ostrander High School, Scioto Valley
High School, and Buckeye Valley High School experiences.
Much earlier, in 1936, a group lead by committee members Hazel
Long Glesenkamp, Helen Felkner, and Imogene Crain Sherman
published "Annals of the Past" which details the
high school experience from 1890 through 1935.
The following history of Scioto Township
schools titled The Millcreek Garden
Club presents The Arbor Day Program and Brief History of all Scioto
Township Schools was printed on April 30, 1965.
THE GARDEN CLUB CONTEST
by Mrs. Roy Swisher, President
One of the objectives of the Ohio Association of Garden Clubs is Civic
Beautification. This includes the planting of trees, shrubs, and
flowers not only in the member's gardens, but also on school grounds,
along highways, and in public or roadside paths.
Sears Roebuck Foundation offered prizes for the total of
the best community project in Civic Beautification. First prize in
each region in the state association will be $50.00. First prize
entries in each region will be judged by the state committee. First
prize will be $350.00, with lesser amounts for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th
prizes. The Millcreek Garden Club decided to try for a prize.
About the same time, the Ostrander Business Men's Association decided
to return the old school bell to the school grounds, and asked the garden
club to plant some flowers. So we decided to use this planting as
our entry in the Sears contest.
While we were checking dates and the history of the school bell, we
became interested in the history of the school system in Scioto
Township. We want to share this with you. We are grateful to
Mrs. George Pugh of Radnor for information about the one-room district
schools, and to Mrs. Clara Benton, and to Mrs. Nina Duncan for the use of
their copies of "Annals of the Past". This booklet was
prepared by the committee, Mrs. Hazel Olesenkamp, graduate of 1911, Miss
Helen Felkner, graduate of 1915, and Mrs. Imogene Sherman, graduate of
Pictures in our booklet are copied from Annals of the Past.
Because the picture of the 1884 building are too dim for copying, Mrs.
Virginia Felkner painted the first building in water-color and then it was
photographed by the Gazette for us.
BRIEF HISTORY OF SCHOOLS IN SCIOTO
by Mrs. Harold Felkner, Vice President
The sturdy pioneers who sought religious freedom in New England
believed education and religion go hand in hand. Everywhere they
settled, as soon as their cabins were built, a church and school soon
followed, and so it was in Scioto Township.
In 1805 Richard Hoskins and family made their way from the New England
states, through Pennsylvania to the Ohio River at Fort Pitt, now
Pittsburgh, Pa. From there they traveled by boat down the Ohio River
to Portsmouth and north n the Scioto River to Franklinton, now Columbus,
Ohio. They spent the winter there, followed the Scioto River north,
by the way of the Sandusky Military Road, to take up their claim.
They settled near the north mouth of Bokes Creek in May of 1806. In
June of the same year Zachariah Stephens and family settled near by, and
by fall there was a good size settlement, for those times. About the
same time, a grist mill was built in Millville, now Warrensburg.
Soon after, a school was erected in the Bokes Creek area, of log slabs
from a mill along Bokes Creek, and a log house was built at
Millville. From 1810 to 1811, settlers made their way through the
dense woods to the present village of Ostrander, and to a settlement
called Edinburgh. Here the first church was built in the present
location of Fairview Cemetery. Tradition tells us there was also a
log schoolhouse here whose pupils were later transferred to a two room
brick building along the railroad opposite of what is now Gray's Service
Station in Ostrander.
by Mrs. William Winston
DISTRICT NO. 1 was Bokes Creek. First classes were
held in a shed used as a cow shed by Mr. McCune, and early settler.
Mrs. Niday was the first teacher. The slab building came next, to be
followed by the brick building, on State Route 37, presently occupied by
Mr. and Mrs. Ted Byus and family.
DISTRICT NO. 2 was Warrensburg. The first classes were
held in a log building near the river bank. A brick building came
next, on the hill opposite the present school building. In the
meantime a normal school for training teachers in the McIntire Church,
which is now a garage. This developed into a 2 year course High
School in the 4 room frame building along the river. When the 1913
flood damaged this building, the present building was built on the
hill. The high school was not continued and pupils were free to
attend high school in Ostrander or to go to Delaware. This frame
building was later repaired and used as a dwelling.
DISTRICT NO. 3 was the David or Slocum School located on
County Road 168. It was later called Maple Lawn. After the
abandonment it was moved to the farm of Mr. Sherman Slocum. It is
now used as a shed by Mr. and Mrs. Harry Rinehart Mrs. Rinehart is a
granddaughter of Mr. Slocum. One of our Garden Club members, Mrs.
Ray Pounds, taught here in 1907-1908.
DISTRICT NO. 4 was White Sulphur or Loveless School, located on
the Penn Road or County Road No. 158. The first brick building had
to be abandoned because of blasting at the Quarry. It was replaced
by a frame building, now used as a dwelling by the Peter Stoycheff
family. L.A. McMillen concealed his age, for the sake of discipline,
when teaching here in 1900. He was only 17 years old and some of his
pupils were about the same age.
DISTRICT NO. 5 was the Bean or Mills School, located on
the Mills Road. Mr. Ray Pounds attended school here all through the elementary
grades. The school was closed in 1910 and the pupils hauled into
Ostrander. The brick building was torn down and the land reverted to
the Ramsey estate, now owned by Charles Morgan of Mill Road.
DISTRICT NO. 6 was known as the Kirkland School, located
on County Road No. 165. Mr. G. G. Anderson was one of the early
teachers, and Mrs. Pounds also taught here in 1908-1909. The
building is still standing on the Lewis Fontanelle Farm, on what is
usually known as th Burnt Pond Road. Mrs. Steve Long, mother of Mrs.
Odell Liggett taught here for 2 years. Mrs. Homer Howison,
granddaughter of Mrs. Steve Long is presently teaching in Grade 5 at
DISTRICT NO. 7 was known as the Red Bird School and was
located near the Delaware-Union County line, on State Route 37.
After it was closed it was moved and is now used as a shed on the Glick
Farm on Burnt Pond Road.
DISTRICT NO. 8 was known as the Felkner School. It
was located on County Road No. 165. One of our garden club members,
Miss Bernice Thompson attended school here. It was of brick, on the
west side of the road, about half way from the railroad and the farm known
as the Allen farm. It has long since been torn down and few records
are available, except that Mrs. Anna Maugans once taught here. Mrs.
Anna Morrison Maugans graduated from Ostrander High School 70 years ago
and although past 90, is still active and able to write her friends.
DISTRICT NO. 9 was known as Sandy Hill or Bevan School. It
is still standing on the farm now owned by Mr. Fred Wickham, of Delaware,
and is used for hay storage. For four years, Mrs. Pounds was teacher
here, acting as janitor also; she walked the 2 1/2 miles each way from
home each day, and was never absent in the four years for illness.
This school later became part of the Warrensburg District. Mr. Floyd
Prouty was a teacher here also.
DISTRICT NO. 10 was known as Huntley or Fairview, located on
State Route 36, east of Fairview Corners. The first building was of
brick, later replaced by a frame building now located on the fram owned by
R.G. Richardt. Mrs. Lottie Newhouse was the teacher here in
1914-1915. Mr. E. E. Newhouse and Mr. John A. Miller were among
early teachers here.
DISTRICT NO. 11 was named Brindle School (see pic in
Photo Album). It stood across
the road from the Brindle Church. The church was remodeled into a
barn on the farm now owned by Mr. Charles Robinson. The school house
burned in 1916 and the pupils attended school in a small white frame
building on the Ostrander School grounds until 1917, when the district was
consolidated with Ostrander. This small building can be seen in one
picture in the "Annals of the Past". It was later
used as a garage for school buses, then sold. It was bought by J. A.
Maugans and is part of his residence.
Many of the names found in the lists of teachers were well known in the
community, and their children, and many times the grandchildren were also
graduated from the Ostrander High School. The average teachers
salary ranged from $25.00 in the early day to $45.00 per month.
Their duties included janitor services as well as teaching.
In all our research into school history were were unable to find very
much about the Otrander Schools, until we received the "Annals of the
Past" from Mrs. Benton and Mrs. Duncan. Here we learned that
the first building on the present school grounds was erected in 1884, and
was built of brick made in Delaware County.
Tradition tells us it was first used as an academy or normal school for
training of teachers, and had an enviable record because of the number of
teachers sent into the district schools. In 1888 the High School was
organized, and 3 year courses of study at first. There were only 3
in the first graduation classes, Mrs. Jane (Roney) Husted, Mrs. Nellie (Cratty)
Bell, and Mrs. Frank Loveless, Honor Student, held in the Presbyterian
Church, in 1890. None in 1891. It was the Class of 1895 that
was the first to complete a four year course. The elementary grades
were added about this time, and thereafter the grades and high school
continued to occupy the old building.
In a picture which we have of the first building, the bell and bell
tower can be seen. In 1915 an agreement was reached with the
district boards of education whereby all elementary pupils would be sent
to Ostrander. This made it necessary to have more room. The
bell tower and part of the old building were torn down. A new
addition was added in front of the old; this was used as the High School
while the grades continued to occupy the old portion. The old school
bell was remounted n this new part and continued in use till
In 1937 more room was needed, and a third portion was added which
included the present auditorium, rest and shower rooms, a shop, and a
cafeteria - dinin room which doubled for a short time as a home economics
room. In August of 1943, the Warrensburg District was consolidated
with Ostrander. The Warrensburg building continued to be used as an
elementary school. In December of 1951 Bellpoint School District was
also consolidated with Ostrander. After Warrensburg was added the
name of Scioto Local Schools was chosen. After Bellpoint was added
the name was changed to Scioto Valley Local Schools. Both
Warrensburg and Bellpoint buildings continued to be used for the first 6
grades, with junior and senior classes in Ostrander. During this
time the old furnace rooms were converted into a cafeteria.
In 1956 bonds were sold and a new addition planned. All the
oldest portions of the school were torn down. The old school bell
came down with the rest. It was thrown on the scrap pile to be sold
as salvage by the contractor. It was recovered by several business
men and stored in the township house. When the latter was torn down
it was moved to the fire house and then to Parrott's Sales and
Service. And now finally been returned to the school grounds.
While the latest addition was being built, it became necessary to hold
classes in church basements, in the corners of the gym, already full of
stored equipment, and classes finally moved into the new rooms the second
semester of 1958.
In 1961 the Delaware County Board of Education combined the Scioto
Valley District with Radnor and Ashley to form the present Buckeye Valley
School District. A new High School building was erected. The
first commencement was held June 1, 1964. The Warrensburg building
has been abandoned, and the Bellpoint building is leased as a school for
retarded children, and the remaining buildings house the kindergarten
through the 8th grade, with High School classes in the new building.
All of this past history, its most interesting and should be
preserved. But we living in the present, and must also look toward
the future. Progress brings changes which are sometimes hard to
accept. The history of the Scioto Valley Schools has been a long and
honorable one. The schools have been the center of all activities
for the the entire community. In return all have helped to support
the school system. Many graduates have won honors in their chosen
professions in the fields of education, medicine, nursing, lawyers, and
writers. Mrs. Jane Roney Husted, Class of 1890, was a pioneer woman
doctor, and Mae Mills, Class of 1893, was a pioneer woman dentist.
Many of the graduates served their country in various wars, some of whom
did not return. Some are successful merchants or farmers. We
have got a high mark for the larger school to aim at. We hope the
career of the Buckeye Valley Schools will be as good as or even
better. And today, Arbor Day, we plant a Buckeye Tree in honor, of
the past, and future of our schools.